Clean Your Streams: Give Back.

A great way to give back to your community is to help keep it clean. There are many ways to help, from donating to environmental charities or helping with recycling drives, to participating in a “Clean Your Streams” event, hosted by Partners for Clean Streams.

“Clean your Streams” is an annual event that takes place in April or May to clean Toledo’s waters. Each year data is collected on litter found during each cleanup. People from all over the area participate in this event. In 2022 kayakers were going up and down the stream, collecting garbage and bringing it to the water banks to be sorted and collected.

The organization, Partners for Clean Streams, Inc., describes their mission as “partners for Clean Streams Inc. is striving for abundant open space and a high quality natural environment; adequate floodwater storage capacities and flourishing wildlife; stakeholders who take local ownership in their resources; and rivers, streams and lakes that are clean, clear and safe”.

“Clean your Streams” is a good opportunity for experience and volunteering for service hours. Some colleges may look for experiences and volunteering like this in application processes.

Whitmer students are encouraged to participate in this years event.

Students will meet at the front of the school, by the flag poles, at 8:50 a.m., or meet at Cullen Park by 9:45 a.m. There will be time for breakfast, and cleanup starts at 10 a.m. and lasts until noon. Lunch is provided and students will return to Whitmer High School by around 12:45.

“Students should bring water and snacks if they would like. They should bring gloves and wear long pants with closed toed shoes. If anyone has bee sting allergies they should make sure that they bring an epipen and let me know that they are allergic to stings.” Environmental Science teacher and Science and Environmental club director, Mr. Jeff Mackenzie.

The 2023 Clean Your Streams takes place April 29, 2023. Permission slips can be found outside of Mr. Mackenzie’s room, 221 in the science wing. Mr. Mackenzie requests that he has them back by Thursday, April 6th, but if needed they can be turned in after Spring break.