RECENT NEWS
  • May 15Food Truck Face Off! May 15th 3:30-6:00
  • April 26Academic Signing Day- May 3rd f 8:30AM Whitmer Auditorium
The Student News Site of Whitmer High School

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

The Panther Press

Staff Ballers Take Down Students For a Good Cause

Multi-Shots Photography
Avion Franklin shooting a warm up 3 pointer

To start the month of February, Whitmer held its annual staff vs. student basketball game to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House.

“Feeling good, it’s for a good cause,” teacher and men’s junior varsity (JV) coach Avion Franklin states.

Throughout warmups, everyone was in high spirits and ready to play, leading to some friendly banter between staff and students.

“There is no competition; I’m feeling good,” senior Joaquin Janatowski remarks.

Throughout the game, the score was back and forth. Coach Franklin started the game with a three-pointer, and then Joaquin answered with three three-pointers back to back to give the students some points. At half, the score was 21-24 in the student’s favor.

“Not feeling good,” teacher Mr. Whitacre says.

Nearing the end of the third quarter, teacher Mr. Lenz put up a shot that didn’t go as planned.

“Definitely ruptured a tendon,” Mr. Lenz announces.

Coming into the fourth quarter, the teachers held the lead and made it stay that way, triumphing over the students and securing the win. Mr. Lenz’s injury did not slow them down.

Before the game, head staff coach Kayden Humes was asked how he feels about the game, “I play to win,” and he did exactly that.

The people of Whitmer, students, and staff seemed happy to be there and were all having fun and supporting a good cause.

On the other hand, “We didn’t lose, just ran out of time,” Student player Jude Stanley says.

Donate to The Panther Press

Your donation will support the student journalists of Whitmer High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to The Panther Press

Skip to toolbar