Aaron “Wheelz” Fotheringham speaks words of encouragement to Washington Local Middle Schoolers.

Aaron+Wheelz++enjoys+interacting+with+his+audience.+%E2%80%9C+I+love+getting+asked+for+an+autograph.+Seeing+the+smile+on+these+childrens+faces+makes+my+day.%E2%80%9D+

Joseph Sanchez Jr., 2026

Aaron Wheelz enjoys interacting with his audience. “ I love getting asked for an autograph. Seeing the smile on these children’s faces makes my day.”

Students from Jefferson junior high and Washington junior high listened to Aaron tell his story on October 11, 2022 in Whitmer’s auditorium. Aaron “Wheelz” Fotheringham was born with Spina Bifida; a condition that affects the spine and is  type of neural tube defect (NTD). He was challenged throughout his life, but persevered and rose above it. Many people in his life told him he wouldn’t be able to be very independent; however, that never stopped him.

“The wheelchair it was a tool,”  Fotheringham explains, speaking to seventh grade students in Whitmer high school’s auditorium and sharing that it is “a blessing in my life.”

Aaron continuously talked about how people looked down on the wheelchair and the only thing they could view it as was a “disability.” Aaron never thought of it like that. The wheelchair wasn’t always there. He was on crutches before.

“When it was time to run the mile in class,” Wheelz said to eighth graders, “I would do it on my crutches.”

Aaron is a Wheelchair Motocross athlete. Others had doubts in Aaron. Aaron was always told he would never be able to be a professional athlete with his condition. Wheelz was able to encourage students to never give up,and to try to be the best version of themselves that they can possibly be.

“Even in the worst situation, you can come back 10 times stronger,” Aaron told eighth graders.

Aaron made students like him feel they can do anything. He encourages everyone to always try again when they fail at completing an obstacle in their way.

“Nobody has done what I do before me, I have to be my own coach.” Aaron Wheelz says, “My friends are professional BMX athletes, but they don’t know how to do wheelchair tricks, I have to figure it out on my own.”

Aaron made middle schoolers know it is okay to make mistakes and to have to figure things out on their own, he also made students with wheelchairs feel seen.

Aaron ended the presentation with signing autographs, and giving kids his limited edition hot wheels.