Free Lunches Affect Students In A Negative Way

Staff image

Years of studies have shown that students perform better on tests, assignments, and the overall learning process when fully charged with nutritious foods.

During lunch time this school year, you may look around and see many without food in front of them. This is quite different from last year when everyone was eating, had a tray, or an open lunch box.

Eating is a key factor to the energy that young students need in order to keep going and not having lunch or breakfast takes an extreme toll on students’ energy and capability to do their work. Lunch is a very important part of a young person’s busy day and fundamental to making it through the stretch and Whitmer students say that they don’t eat lunch as often as they did last year due to the cost and change in easy access. The real price of students not eating proper lunches is not having energy to do their school work to their best ability.

When asked about her energy level the second half of her day, sophomore Lola Curry responds, “I have less energy and I am not nearly as focused”. When asked if she feels like she was informed enough ahead of the school year that Whitmer would no longer have free lunches for all Curry expressed frustration.

“No. We got one letter sent to our parents, which some of us may not see often”, Ms. Curry goes on to  claims that, “bringing cash to school is not always on my mind and I do not have food to bring all of the time”.

Many Whitmer students do not have control over their own grocery shopping and food available at home. Students say it would be helpful if the lunch room had an option to pay with a credit or debit card as well.

Talking with students in the lunchroom goes to show just how much of a difference between last year and this year’s lunch experience is. Some students’ parents don’t qualify for free and reduced lunches, but also don’t have the spare time, access, or money to give their kids daily lunches for school.

This perfect storm is frustrating, but schools and their dedicated professionals are trying to help.

School Nutrition Advocate professionals, like our own Washington Local Nutrition Supervisor Debra Warren, continue to advocate for free student lunches. She has served our district and fed students of all ages for 28 years.

“I have loved my job, but found it challenging especially during the Covid pandemic”,  Mrs.Warren, explains.

This change is not one limited to Whitmer High School or even the Washington Local District, but as time goes on The Nutrition Service Team will continue to fiercely advocate for students getting free lunches again.
Mrs. Warren goes on to say that “this is nationwide, but many states have found money in their budgets to continue to subsidize the free meals. Ohio is not one of those states.”

While breakfast is still free for all, free and reduced-price meals are provided to students whose families qualify under the National School Lunch Program. If you are struggling an unsure if you qualify, you can find district resources here.