Gymnastics behind the scenes

Whitmer’s gymnastics program has seen so much growth over the last 15 years, but Covid and has had a big toll on the amount of participation being contributed in gymnastics. With so many barriers to building a powerhouse gymnastics program, Whitmer gymnasts continue to focus on growth and skills.

“Gymnastics takes a lot of progression,” former Varsity gymnastics coach and social studies teacher Mrs. A. Kosakowski said.

Mrs. Kosakowski has spent almost her entire life training, competing, or coaching in the sport and now has her own daughter to train and support.

Gymnastics is a sport with a few built in roadblocks; it can be a lot of work and cost. In addition, Covid had a big influence on participation. Like many sports, gymnastics was on hold and facilities closed.

Cost has always been an issue and post-Covid has caused even more strain. The cost for gymnastics makes it difficult for people who really want to participate, but just can’t afford it.

Team tuition out of high school can range from $300-500 a month. With apparel it can cost from $1,200-1,500 a year. A new leotard ranges from $80-100 dollars and grips range from $50-80. If you’re an athlete that gets hurt a lot, the cost of medical supplies like tape add up.

The United States Gymnastics program understands all of these issues and has programs that encourage athletes to join the sport without as many barriers.
USA Gymnastics has a program called Excel that allows you to still compete. Practice less days a week because of everyone not having resources or are dedicated to gymnastics.

“This program is a little less expensive than the USA development program, but it depends on your level and can differ from club to club,” A. Kosakowski said.

Gymnastics can take a toll on your body; regularly demanding three days of conditioning, one to three hours of practice and one to two hours of choreography. If you have a smaller number of people it would be nice because they could get more experience and all perform but you are limited in new skills. Having a bigger team is nice because they could show more skills but not everyone can perform. Gymnastics can be hard to spread the word so people can join. Depending on how long you have been doing gymnastics has a big effect on your skill level.

“It’s a demanding sport when it comes to your nerves and

“We have so many amazing student athletes walking the halls of Whitmer High School. My vision for our gymnastics program is to increase awareness and encourage more students to join the program,”

— Whitmer athletic director Mr. Flemmings

mental state,” Mrs. Kosakowski said.

That is another barrier to a larger Whitmer team. The gymnasts are here, but the high school team may not be the right fit. A current Whitmer sophomore shared why they are not on the WHS team.

“I have been doing gymnastics for 13 years. Gymnastics is a very active sport. I don’t do gymnastics at Whitmer because I have a lot of other things, as well as gymnastics at the gym I go to.

Gymnastics involves four main events for women. Bars, beam, vault, and floor. It really comes down to their time and what gymnastics provides them.Whitmer has a young gymnastics team with a great outlook for the future. Freshman Afaf Smidid is one of those young athletes and she completed a very strong first season.

“I see myself doing it in the future because I enjoy it,” Afaf Smidi says.

Afaf Smidi went to districts this past year as a freshman at Whitmer High School. In the future Whitmer is hoping to have more people join and be a part of Whitmers gymnastics.

“We have so many amazing student athletes walking the halls of Whitmer High School. My vision for our gymnastics program is to increase awareness and encourage more students to join the program,” athletic director Mr. Sean Flemmings hopes for the future.